A Short History of Shanghai(2)
Author: Francis Lister Hawks Hits: Update Time:2007年03月04日
THE BEGINNINGS OF THE FOREIGN SETTLEMENT, 1843
The British Expedition up the Yangtze
The British expedition passed on up the Yangtze River and bombarded Chinkiang, an important city at the junction of the Yangtze and the
From Chinkiang an advance was made on
Ilipu and Ki-ying, both Manchus, were appointed Imperial Commissioners to treat with Sir Henry Pottinger, the British Plenipotentiary, who had come up from Hongkong.
The Treaty of
The first treaty between
Among other provisions of the Treaty,
In the wording of the Treaty no direct mention was made of settlements, and the only safeguards provided for foreign merchants were that "they with their families and establishments shall be allowed to reside for the purpose of carrying on their mercantile pursuits, without molestation or restraint" in the five ports.
The Treaty was ratified at
American and French Treaties
The fruits of
The French Government despatched Monsieur Theodore M. M. J. de Lagrene to
Appointment of First British Consul
Captain George Balfour, formerly of the Indian Artillery, was selected by Sir Henry Pottinger to be the first Consul at
On the following day he called by appointment on the Taotai, Kung Moo-yun, accompanied by his staff, Mr. W.H. Medhurst, interpreter, Dr. Hale, surgeon and assistant, and Mr. A. F. Strachan, clerk, and the Taotai duly returned the call on board the "Medusa," Consul Balfour's ship.
The first question to arise was that of a residence for the Consul, and for a time it seemed as if no one would venture to rent a house to the unwelcome foreigner, but eventually he secured the lease of a large dwelling house, containing 52 rooms, in the city, on a street between the East and West Gates at a rental of $400 per annum
The Chinese authorities immediately raised the point that it was illegal to sell outright any land belonging to His Imperial Majesty, but this obstacle was surmounted by permission being given to rent in perpetuity, an annual land rent being paid by the renters.
Land was bought from the native proprietors at rates varying from 50,000 to 60,000 cash a mow, the actual value being from 15,000 to 35,000 cash a mow, or $15 to $35 Mex. The annual rent or land tax was fixed at 1,500 cash a mow.
First Settlement Boundaries
No very definite boundaries were made in the first delimitation of the Se ttlement. The
Later the western boundary was put at the
The main portions of the land were fairly well raised and were under cult ivation; other portions were lower and marshy. There were numerous creeks, ditches and ponds, and the lower grounds in summer were covered with reeds. Innumerable grave mounds dotted the land and the purchasers were obliged to agree that the former owners could visit them at stated periods and perform the customary religious rites.
For several years after the establishment of the Settlement, all west of the present
There were other difficulties connected with the acquisition of land in this area, for the owners sometimes demanded exorbitant prices or were unwilling to sell. Even after they had sold the land, for one excuse or another, they refused to move or went only when forcibly ejected.
For a considerable period the foreign residents had to be content to live in native houses in Nantao, outside the city walls, on the shores of the Whangpoo. The conditions of life were not very pleasant. One of the early residents, Mr. Fortune, gives the following description of the state of affairs in 1843: "Often in the mornings we would find ourselves drenched with rain; and if snow fell, it was blown through the windows and formed wreaths on the floor."
The foreign population was then something over 100, of whom seven were ladies. There were 25 mercantile firms engaged in business. It was not until 1849 that the residents generally moved into the Settlement.
Arrangements for trade
The Taotai appointed six "partners" in the shroff shop to grant receipts for export and import duties and tonnage dues, and there was considerable danger lest trade should fall into the hands of a few monopolists, as at
Although it was a day of small things, it is interesting to note that during the first six weeks after the port was opened, from November 14 to December 31, seven vessels entered the harbour. Their imports totalled in value Tls. 433,729 and the exports Tls. 147,172. As import duty they paid Tls. 16,564.80, and for export fees Tls. 7,537.19. Their tonnage dues amounted to Tls. 985, a marked contrast to the large "squeezes" formerly enforced on vessels at
Before the signing of the Treaty of Nanking, there was constant friction between foreigners who came to
The Treaty of Nanking marks the legalization of extraterritorial rights as well as the formal treaty relations in regard to commerce. Extraterritoriality was not expressly granted in the Treaty, but provision was made for the functioning of British consular officials, with the understanding that extraterritorial rights should be enjoyed by British traders.
Article XIII of the General Resolutions issued in connection with the Treaty reads as follows:
Whenever a British subject has to complain of a Chinese he must first proceed to the Consulate and state his grievance. The Consul will thereupon enquire into the merits of the case and do his utmost to arrange it amicably. In like manner, if a Chinese have reason to complain of a British subject, he shall no less listen to his complaint, and endeavour to settle it in a friendly manner. . .
If unfortunately, any disputes take place of such a nature that the Consul cannot arrange them amicably, then he shall request the assistance of a Chinese Officer that they may together examine into the merits of the case, and decide it equitably. Regarding the punishment of English criminals, the English Government will enact the laws necessary to attain that end, and the Consul will be empowered to put them into force and regarding the punishment of Chinese criminals, these will be tried and punished by their own laws, in the way provided for by correspondence which took place at Nanking, after the concluding of the peace.
The exercise of extraterritorial rights received a still more explicit statement in the Treaty made between the
Subjects of China who may be guilty of any criminal act towards citizens of the United States shall be arrested and punished by the Chinese authorities according to the laws of China, and citizens of the United States who may commit any crime in China shall be subject to be tried and punished only by the Consul or other public functionary of the United States thereto authorized according to the laws of the United States; and in order to secure the prevention of all controversy and disaffection, justice shall be equitably and impartially administered on both sides.
Another article of the same Treaty applies this arrangement to civil cases. In Article XXV it was declared:
All questions in regard to rights, whether of property or person, arising between citizens of the United States in China, shall be subject to the jurisdiction of, and regulated by the authorities of their own Government, and all controversies occurring in China between citizens of the United States and subjects of any other Government shall be regulated by the treaties existing between the United States and such Governments, respectively, without interference on the part of China.
According to what is known as the "most favoured nation" clause, these ex traterritorial rights could be claimed by all nations entering into treaty relations with
The Chinese authorities appear to have entered into this arrangement in regard to extraterritoriality without protest. They were glad to be freed of the responsibility of controlling those who appeared to be turbulent foreigners and to hand them over to their own authorities.
It was natural for the British authorities to regard the Settlement as ex clusively under the jurisdiction of the British, and this was the attitude assumed by Consul Balfour, and no land in the Settlement could be acquired without his consent. After the signing of the American and French Treaties, the merchants of these two countries claimed that they had equal rights in the Settlement with the British. This led to many misunderstandings and controversies which might have been avoided if the Treaty of Nanking had been a little more explicit in its statements.
Mr. H. G. Wolcott, the first Acting American Consul in
The view held by Consul Balfour was not shared by the British authorities in Hongkong, who, in a despatch to the British Consul, made the following statement:
It is doubtful whether a British authority can assume a ceremonial jur isdiction over foreigners, in which case the act of hoisting a national flag loses much of its importance.
The boundaries of the Settlement were again roughly defined, the western boundary being extended as far as the Defence Creek. Foreigners were not allowed to employ police, but could engage watchmen, subject to the approval of the Chinese officials. Native domiciles were forbidden in the then existing Settlement, or its further extension. Natives in the Settlement were prohibited from "renting to each other, nor may they again build houses there for the purpose of renting to Chinese merchants."
The land-renters as a body were to be responsible for the upkeep of the S ettlement and its revenue was to be derived from contributions from the r esidents. The assessments were to be made by a committee of the merchants, nominated by the Consul, to be known as the Committee on Roads and Jetties. The land-renters were vested with the control of the revenue and expenditure.
Foreigners, other than those of British nationality, were subject to the same regulations, the revision thereof being possible only by the consent of the British and Chinese authorities.
Four large roads were to be made in the Settlement - the present Hankow, Kiukiang, Nanking and
M. Montigny, first Consul for
The tendency of the British to claim exclusive jurisdiction over the territory of the Settlement was also manifested by the French in regard to their Concession. The principle was adopted that no Chinese or foreign official would be allowed to exercise his power within the boundaries of the French Concession.
The boundaries of the Concession were clearly defined. On the south a part of the moat along the city wall, on the north the Yangkingpang, on the east the river side from the Canton Guild to the Yangkingpang, on the west from the creek named after the war god's temple, Kuan-ti Miao, up to the Bridge of the Chow family, subject to further extension if desired.
This settlement has always been known as the French Concession, and attempts were made from the beginning to place it on the same footing as the concessions that afterwards came into existence during the period of 1858-1863 (Newchwang, Tientsin, Hankow, I Kiukiang, Chinkiang, and
As Mr. H. B. Morse points out in The International Relations of the Chinese Empire, "The American Settlement was not created but just 'growed.'"
The merchants lived in the English Settlement, but some of the missionaries, seeking cheaper land for residences, purchased property in the outskirts. The American Episcopal Church Mission, under Bishop William J. Boone, established itself in Hongkew, across the Soochow Creek. On the arrival of the first official Consul of the
When Bishop Boone was asked what he considered the south boundary of his property, he replied, "the tow path in front of the
At first neither the French Concession nor the Amerjean Settlement flourished. The Jesuit missionaries alone showed any interest in the new site, and, in the neighbourhood of the Concession, at once started to build Tung-kia-tu Cathedral, the corner stone being laid on November 21, 1849. This contains an organ constructed by the French Fathers, which is unique, as the pipes are made of bamboo, and, as far as we know, is the only one of its kind in the world. It is pointed out as an object of curiosity to the traveller who visits the Cathedral.
The Americans found their situation so unfavourable that for a time even the Consul was obliged to establish his office in the British Settlement. Undoubtedly, the exclusive privileges claimed by the British authorities for their Settlement was the chief reason for the French and American Governments wanting territory for the residence of their own nationals.
The dissension between the first residents in regard to jurisdiction was not, however, of so serious a nature as to cause real trouble. A healthy feeling grew up among the foreigners, and they recognized from the start that they had similar interests, which could only be attained through a spirit of unity.
As we shall see later, in 1863 the American Settlement was amalgamated with the British, and the present International Settlement came into existence.
Consul Balfour, who at first was obliged to live in the native city, was anxious to acquire property in the Settlement for the site of the British Consulate. At that time, according to the ruling of the Home Government, the Consuls to foreign countries were not allowed to purchase land or erect buildings, but were obliged to carry on their work in rented premises. In spite of this, Consul Balfour determined to secure a proper site for the erection of consular offices.
On April 28, 1846, five months before he resigned, he made arrangements for the purchase of the Li Chia Chang property, north of the boundary of the Settlement, consisting of over 100 mow of land, for $17,000. Not having authority from the Government, he advanced 84,000 of his own money. His successor, Mr. (afterwards Sir) Rutherford Alcock, upon his arrival, proceeded with the matter and after much difficulty persuaded the Home Government to sanction the purchase. In this way the splendidly situated piece of land now occupied by the consulate buildings was obtained and, on July 21, 1849, the consular offices were removed to this site.
The first Consulate, built in 1852, was destroyed by fire on December 23, 1870, and most of the records were lost. The present building was erected in 1872.
From time immemorial, trackers had used the tow path along the shore of the
The foreign population of the Settlement gradually increased. In 1844 it was 50, in the following year, 90, and after five years it had grown to 175. In addition there was a floating population, consisting of the men on shore from the ships in harbour.
Compared with the life in the factories of
The Committee on Roads and Jetties experienced difficulties in carrying out their functions. As was perhaps natural, the early residents of
The buildings erected had little claim to architectural beauty and have been wittily described as of the "compradoric" order. Many of them were bungalows and all had deep verandahs. They were adapted to a tropical climate, and the builders seemed to have had only the four months of hot weather in mind, and to have over-looked the need of sunshine in their homes during the rest of the year.
Very little was done in regard to sanitation, and for a long time refuse was disposed of by depositing it on the shores of The Bund.
On March 8, 1848, three missionaries, Drs Medhurst and Lockhart, and the Rev. William Muirhead, made a visit to Tsingpu. a town about 25 miles from
When the matter was reported to Mr. Alcock, he decided to take strong measures to bring those who were guilty of the assault to justice and take the affair up with the Shanghai Taotai. Failing to receive prompt redress, he informed the Taotai that until justice had been done, no British ship would pay duties, nor would any grain junks be allowed to leave the port. The Commander of the "Chiltern" detained 1,400 rice junks, while the "Espiegle", with the British Vice-Consul on board, was despatched to Nanking to bring the matter to the attention of the Viceroy and to lay before him a formal complaint. In this way the matter was speedily settled. The ten leaders in the assault were cangued
The British Government was at first inclined to censure Mr. Alcock for exceeding his authority, but when his measures proved successful, its rebuke was considerably softened. The Taotai was removed from office, and another - Wu - known to foreigners as "Samqua," was appointed in his place.
Institute of Modern History, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences
Add.:1 Dong chang Hutong, Wangfujing Dajie, Beijing, P. R. China Post Code:100006 Tel.:65255400